Thursday 17 April 2014

Professional Ethics - Task 5a


This task is something that I read and seized up. I assumed that there would be so many things that I would miss as there are so many things to be put in place, and the amount needed these days to protect dancers, and especially children, with whom I work, I tried to list things down that I think we have in place (being honest, it is a while since I have seen the policies) and solely going on what I am to list, I cannot say that I have got everything in place.

Our policies are not displayed on the website, however it is stated that anybody is able to see them on request, so for this reason, I am waiting for these policies, as I am not the one that holds them.

As for ways of policies, I believe we have:

 

Safeguarding

Personal Relations

Drugs/Alcohol

Health – Including hydration and Nutrition

 

The others, I cannot be sure on. However, when looking at the other things in place.

Each employee should have a DBS check, and is on the company’s public liability insurance policy. Not everybody in the workplace is a first aider but there will usually be a first aider in the vicinity.

Anybody that holds any information belonging to any of the dancers taught should sign a confidentiality contract, as nobody can share people’s details publicly, following the Data Protection Act.

All dancers in the workplace have to supply emergency contact numbers and are asked for medical information, so that we are aware of any conditions that need monitoring, or that we can prevent anything, for example an allergic reaction.

Our year starts at Easter, and each year forms are sent out to each dancer (or parent if under 18), this include release forms for photographs and video footage to be taken and to be shared publicly. If a parent/dancer does not agree to this then each teacher is made aware of this. Also, we ask whether children are allowed to have physical contact, in the appropriate manner, for ways of correction.

As a teacher, we are warned about our use of social media, and how we present ourselves as faculty member. Although the company cannot actually alter what is displayed on my sectors of the social media sites, but we should be told if there is something that somebody has deemed inappropriate. In the same way, we should be told what is inappropriate in a classroom situation (sending children out of the room unsupervised, use of bad language, missing breaks) and we are to be pulled up on these if we have acted in an inappropriate manner, and I believe, could be removed from our post.

I have not been working where I do for very long, so I cannot say whether all of these things are actually pulled up on and followed through. I believe we could be made more aware of the policies we have in place and the protocols we are to follow, as I am not aware of fire procedures etc. I do not know whether others are aware of all of these either, but I will soon find out what is actually in place, and will let you know how my thoughts differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment