Tuesday 6 May 2014

Task 6C - Award Title


Looking at choosing my award title, I had quickly glanced over them and considered my options, as everybody had been given them same sheet, I posted this to my SIG for people to leave comments on. I had numbered them on the group page, but will name them here:

BA (Hons) Professional Practice…

(Dance): I feel that this is a little too general, and I feel that I have more to offer than just dance

(Performing Arts): Whilst this bears more depth I feel that I will more on from this one day and feel that a different title may encompass more of what I want to do a little further down the line.

(Musical Theatre): Now as much as musicals excite me, and I have no problem with the choreography, some of you have heard m sing, and rest assured, this is not something I feel I have the calibre to earn a degree in!

(Arts Management): This was something that stuck out for me. I am currently managing a large part of a dance organisation and feel that I am competent in such, and am always looking for ways of making the entire body of work better for everyone, and feel that this ties in somewhat with my inquiry. Although previously stated, I cannot sing, but I am a competent dress maker and have no problem with set design and have no fear in finding out who I may need to go to in order to get what is needed, and am very much aware of the legal traits behind things.

(Performing Arts Management): This is also another title I feel that I would like to work towards, and actually one that my inquiry is probably better suited. However, to me, this implies the management of individuals, sending them to shows and getting people jobs: I believe I am capable of this, but my current job includes administration as well as teaching and ordering necessary items, and feel that I am better doing lots in one organisation, rather than the same thing for many different organisations.

(Theatre Arts): I do not have much experience in Theatre arts, per say. I have a diploma that is primarily in dance, and I don’t believe that GCSE drama will get me very far in this.

(Dance Teaching): This does somewhat apply to me, as I do do a fair amount of teaching, however, this is not the only route I wish to go down. This is does however apply to my inquiry, but I believe that the subject of my inquiry could benefit more than just myself, teaching.

(Graphic Design): Erm, being honest… definitely not my field!

 

Having spoken with my SIG they agree that one of the ‘Management’ titles best suits me, or at least at the moment. One person who had known me before I started the BAPP course said that she thought of me when she first read the ‘Arts Management’ title!

 

Now, trying to write a rationale for such.

 

I feel that BA (Hons) Professional Practice (Arts Management) is best suited to me: I currently work with a dance organisation, organising teacher’s timetables, sorting auditions, writing terms & conditions and liaising with parents about classes and general feedback, sorting registers and residential training sessions, handling merchandise orders, whilst teaching and staying aware of any opportunities that may arise for both myself or the dancers I teach. I wish to dance with a professional company in the near future, but have had some time off due to injury, which is where I first started looking at teaching, however, not being able to dance, teaching proved hard, and I started to take on some administrative tasks. It was during this time I became aware that the dance world is not just physical body movements, and the hiring and firing of dancers, walking in and out of the doors as if nothing had happened, and when I realised how unprepared I was for the business that I was about to go into! This is where I started picking up more tasks and getting more involved with things, when I discovered a real passion for the wellbeing of everyone is the organisation, not only the dancers, but the teachers and parents too, and I relish in finding ways in which to make things run smoothly, always with the thought, communication is key! This is why I have chosen to take my inquiry into health and safety, looking at how each group of people can benefit from this and making the organisation a more comfortable place to be in and for those involved to thrive. This in itself should produce a higher standard of work, both inside the organisation which I work, and for those outside, allowing for more opportunities in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment